Webboard for 5th Year EN Students
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vijtitra 031 quantities and containers

Go down

Vijtitra 031 quantities and containers Empty Vijtitra 031 quantities and containers

ตั้งหัวข้อ by blue-m Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Overall grade --- B+

Shopping quantities and containers Vijtitra khot-are-sa 031

I observed another student teach this lesson and I must say that this lesson is one of the worst lessons I have ever seen written in a text book. This is a great example of why text books should be used as a resource and not as a guide.
The good news is that you did a good job of turning a disaster of a lesson into something positive. Don’t be afraid to change text book lessons into your own creations.

Pre-Task
Before you start the Halloween presentation you need to set the objective for the class (quantities and containers). Then you need to set a purpose for the Halloween story. What should they be paying attention to? You should tell the students to pay attention to the types of containers.
I would also encourage you to change the holiday to a Thai holiday and make it more culturally relevant.
The activity you did with having students go around the room and ask classmates if they had a certain number of containers was great. If you were using this to connect to prior knowledge super great. This type of activity seemed more suited to after the lesson was presented and could have been used to extend the learning that the students could have engaged in. I hope you use this strategy in other lessons as well. It will help you be a great teacher.

Vocabulary
The lesson is titled quantities and containers. Two of the three vocabulary words shown in the video were neither quantities or containers. After more than 20 years I have no clue what connection the word “ready” has with quantities or containers. From this you should be aware that the vocabulary should have a theme and be connected to the lesson title. With that being said, these kids are capable of at least 10-15 new words with this lesson. If the text book doesn’t provide the words, then research other words to put with the list that should be all container related words. Eliminate pretzel as a vocabulary word and teach that with a topic on snack food. Avoid using the artificial pronunciations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a highly capable teacher teaching the pronunciation with her Thai accent. When you do this, you will convey confidence to your students. In the future they hopefully won’t be so shy to speak to foreigners. It was great that you asked the students to make their own sentence, but you missed an opportunity for all the students to write a sentence at the same time. Then you call on a student and have them share.
Also, when teaching vocabulary, you should have the students write the words into notebooks. Only a minority of students are purely auditory and visual learners. More than half the class potentially didn’t learn anything. The writing part gets kinesthetic learners involved and aids in long term retention.

Text 2 – Structure
I am not a big fan of piggybacking grammar structure with vocabulary as there is the danger of the students learning to associate the particular vocabulary with the grammar structure.
Teaching there is / there are has so many more applications than with just containers and you should reflect that in the lesson. “There is a storm coming.”, is an example.
All in all, you did a good job of explaining there is/there are.

Text 3 – Conversation
When presenting the text on the screen choose students to voice the different parts of the conversation. If the students truly need the artificial voice to read the script, then the lesson is too hard for the students. Unison reading lets struggling kids hide behind the voices of their classmates. Choosing individuals will help you discover kids who need a little extra help.
I heard you say, “The girl at the back.” I sincerely hope you are doing your best to learn the names of the students. This is one of the most basic tenets of classroom management.

Task Cycle
You introduced this activity as picture matching. Was that the objective of the lesson? I sincerely hope the students already have that skill. You need to tell the students what the point of the activity is.
You did a great job of giving directions for getting into groups.
When demonstrating an activity avoid asking for volunteers. You lost time begging students to help you. Just point to three students and have them stand up and come near you.
The way this activity was designed you missed a golden opportunity for cooperative based learning (CBL). These kids would have learned much more if they worked in small groups of 4 discussing the solutions to the problems.
I heard you say, “There are 8 numbers [sic] on the worksheet.” A better way would be to say, “There are 8 problems you need to solve.”
Good to show the answers on the screen. If time allows ask the students for the solutions and confirm they are correct.

Post Task
The Draw and Describe activity was good but could have been awesome with a few minor changes.
Giving an opportunity for students to write and connect to a picture they drew is always an awesome strategy.
Encouraging students to use their own food choices would allow them to connect this activity to their own daily lives and make it relevant and more interesting for them to learn. Connecting this back to the unit of shopping where the kids could have drawn a picture of them shopping at the supermarket would have been the icing on the cake.
At the end I heard you say. “Time is up.” Did you remember to give them a time limit at the beginning? You should also give the students a two-minute warning that time is almost up.
Always good to have students share their work.

Once again there was a lot of good things I saw in you as a teacher with this lesson.

blue-m

จำนวนข้อความ : 35

ขึ้นไปข้างบน Go down

ขึ้นไปข้างบน

Permissions in this forum:
คุณไม่สามารถพิมพ์ตอบ